Treatment with Clozapine
Prepare for your treatment
About the treatment
It is one of the most effective medicinal products against delusions and hallucinations in connection with schizophrenia.
Clozapine is used when other medicinal products do not provide an adequate effect or cause unacceptable side effects.
However, clozapine also requires extra control because it may cause severe side effects in a few people.
Risks and side effects
Side effects may include:
- Increased saliva production – especially at night. You can get medication that reduces your discomfort.
- Weight gain
- Constipation, which may be severe and require treatment Fatigue
- Heart palpitations
- In rare cases, Clozapine may weaken your immune system (resulting in low white blood cell count), which may lead to serious infections.
- Inflammation of the heart may occur in very few patients. The symptoms may resemble an acute heart attack. Therefore, you will have an electrocardiogram (ECG) done regularly.
Remember to inform your therapist if you experience any of the above side effects. You must also mention if you experience any other side effects that may be caused by your treatment with Clozapine.
If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember it, unless it is soon time for the next dose. In such case, follow your usual dosage schedule.
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
NB: If more than 48 hours have passed, you will need a new dose escalation plan. Therefore, consult your therapist before taking the medication.
Further course of treatment
As there have been rare cases of severe side effects from Clozapine, it is very important that you attend the scheduled check-ups.
- You must have blood samples taken every month
- You must have an electrocardiogram (ECG) done minimum every six months.
- You will also be weighed, as some people experience weight gain when treated with Clozapine.
Gå direkte til:
Brug ikke informationen på denne side til at stille dine egne diagnoser, og følg kun instruktionerne i vejledningen, hvis hospitalet har henvist dig til siden.